Bedbugs make sleeping as if you have a bad dream. It becomes a nightmare if it affects your loved ones, so you need to wake up and do something about it fast. That’s because a lack of sleep or disturbed sleep will have detrimental effects on the overall well-being of a person. You wouldn’t want anyone from home getting sick because of bedbugs.
Getting rid of bedbugs is close to impossible. That is why preventive measures should be taken to avoid the hassles that bedbugs cause. A key to that is to get to know the bugs.
What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are attracted to residential spaces because of the generous supply of food. Moreover, the houses offer the warmth that makes them comfortable to infest. But once they start to multiply, they will never stop. They can do it so fast, which is why getting rid of them is really challenging.
Bed bugs can easily fit into tiny cracks in your home, making it difficult for an untrained eye to spot them. Although they earned their moniker, they don’t just stay on the mattresses. They can lay their eggs on the sofas, clothing, and basically, anywhere that’s warm and dark.
Many of us believe that bedbugs exist because they are attracted to filth. On the contrary, rugs are in your house because of food access. These creepers feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals, which makes your dog and you a searing target.
Here are ways to prevent them from entering and infesting your household:
- When you’re buying antiques or second-hand items, check for bedbugs. If there are signs of infestation, do not bring them home.
- Use a high-quality protective cover for mattresses, sofas, and clothes to eliminate their hiding spots.
- Reduce clutter. Get rid of old stuff that is possible bedbugs nest.
- Use your vacuum every day to avoid these unwanted hitchhikers.
- When using shared laundry facilities, transport your items using plastic bags. If you suspect an infestation on your clothing, use the high heat of the dryer to kill the bugs.
- Cover power outlets after usage. During an extermination process, bedbugs will quickly climb into power outlets to hide. To prevent that from happening, you must cover the power outlets adequately.
- Dispose of infested clothing. Burn them or expose them under the scorching heat of the sun. This way, the bugs will be killed as well.
Use the extra help
Call in the experts if the infestation becomes too much to handle. It will be better to have the professionals deal with the matter to remove the infestation right away. Just make sure you hire the right one so that you will get what your money is worth.
Once the pests are exterminated, look out for signs. You can’t be too careful. Help the members of your family identify signs of bedbug infestations so that you can call the pest control company immediately.
If you would like to know how to get rid of bedbugs in Melbourne, get in touch with us to see how we can help! Click here for bed bug control